Workers' Compensation

Procedures to Report an Injury and Receive Treatment

Work-Related Injury Reporting and Medical Treatment

This information is only for the use of University of Maryland employees and volunteers. If you are a student requiring medical care, please navigate to the following site:

Medical Treatment
During business hours (Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
  1. For an injury or illness requiring emergency care, dial 711 from a campus phone or 911 from an off-campus phone and request emergency transportation.
  2. For non-emergency care, proceed directly to the UMaryland Immediate Care Center (UMICC) located at 408 W. Lombard St. The Immediate Care Center phone number is 667-214-1899. No appointment is necessary.
  3. Take a copy of the first report of injury form with you to ensure you are not billed for the visit. The forms are in the reporting section of this page.
After hours (Monday through Friday, 5 p.m. to 7 a.m., weekends and holidays)
  1. Seek medical care from the UMMC Emergency Room, your personal physician, or a local hospital.
  2. Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure
    1. If exposed to human blood, call the needlestick hotline at 667-214-1886. Your call will be answered by a medical professional (24 hours a day) who will advise you on the risk of your exposure, what treatment you may need and facilitate the "Source Patient's" blood being tested.
Out-of-state medical treatment
If you work outside Maryland, complete the out-of-state first report of injury form provided below. Advise the health care provider that you are seeking treatment for a workers' compensation claim and provide them with the carrier's name and policy number referenced on the first report of injury form.

Note: Employees or volunteers covered under Maryland's workers compensation system may also seek treatment from a health care provider of their choice.

Reporting a work-related injury or illness

Work-related injuries and illnesses, regardless of whether medical treatment is required, should be reported to Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) within three (3) days of the incident. Prompt reporting ensures that the injured person receives the medical treatment and benefits entitled to them. To report an injury or illness:

  1. Notify your supervisor of the injury or exposure
  2. Complete the appropriate first report of injury form:
    1. Faculty or staff should complete the following form:
      1. Employee First Report of Injury (PDF) or (Online Form)
    2. Faculty or staff working outside of Maryland should complete the following form:
      1. Out of State Employee First Report of Injury.
    3. Volunteers should complete the following form:
      1. Volunteer First Report of Injury (Online Form)

Note: If the PDF form is used, you must fax a completed copy to the attention of Angela Boxley at 410-706-8212.

Supervisor investigation report and accident witness(s) statement
The following forms should be completed by the injured person's supervisor and witness(s) to the event:

Note: If the PDF form is used, you must fax a completed copy to the attention of Angela Boxley at 410-706-8212