Personal Protective Equipment

What kind of PPE do I need?

PPE must be provided to lab personal under the appropriate circumstances.  Lab personal need to be trained on the proper use of any PPE issued to them and personal have the responsibility of properly using such equipment. 

Eye Protection: Protective eye and face equipment must be used where there is a risk of injury from hazardous chemicals.  The PI or lab supervisor should determine the proper type of eye protection needed per lab activity.

  • Safety glasses/goggles with side shields offer protection against flying fragments, chips, particles, sand, and dirt.
  • Chemical splash goggles (acid goggles) offer the best eye protection from chemical splashes.  Safety goggles should not be worn when danger of a splash exists
  • Faceshields protect face and neck from flying particle and splashes.  Always wear additional eye protection under faceshields.

Skin and Body Protection: The use of gloves and lab coats provide minimal protection from chemical and biological hazards.  Coveralls, aprons, or protective suits should be used when working with extremely hazardous substances.  Open-toed shoes, sandals, shorts, etc are not permitted when working in University laboratories.


Respirators:  Respirator should only be used when engineering controls are not feasible or where they are being installed.

Audit Finding: