Howard Hall

660 W. Redwood Street
(Constructed 1926)
(Acquired 1959)
(Remodeled 1963, 1991,1996, 1998,1999, 2000, 2003, 2006)
239,230 Square Feet
Fire Box 13-50


Constructed in 1926, with major renovations in 1963, is a six storied with a basement and two partial sub-basements of fire resistive construction. It contains offices, research laboratories, instructional modules, and telecommunications. Three enclosed fire rated stairways provide sufficient vertical exiting capacity. The entire second and third floors and approximately one quarter of the fifth floor were renovated in 1991/1996. The entire fourth floor and half of the fifth floor were renovated in 1998/1999 and meet all applicable code requirements. The sixth floor was renovated in 2003 and the Animal Facility in 2006.

Fire department suppression equipment access is available on the North, South and East sides. Access through windows has been reduced on the south side due to an exterior facade housing environmental exhaust ducts.

A completely new fire alarm system was installed in 1983/1984 consisting of manual pull stations, audible/visible devices, smoke and heat detectors which transmit a signal to the Pine Street Police Station. This system has been upgraded on each floor during remodeling.

The building is protected through-out with a combination standpipe/wet pipe sprinkler system which was updated/renovated in 1982/1983. The system is provided with the correct water pressure through a 750 GPM fire pump located in the sub-basement. Each floor is divided into two fire zones with water flow and valve supervisory devices interconnected into the building fire alarm system for each zone. The fire department connections are located on Redwood and Baltimore Streets. Knox FDC caps have been installed on the fire department connections to prevent vandalism.

Portable fire extinguishers are located throughout the facility.

A Knox Box has been installed in the fire command center with keys for elevators, mechanical areas, electric areas and fire alarm panels to be used by the fire department as needed. A key for the Knox FDC caps is also located in the Knox Box.

The building is classified as a Business and Industrial Occupancy.