Rights and Responsibilities of Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities have the right to:
- An equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from courses, programs, services, and activities of the University
- Reasonable and appropriate accommodations, adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services
- Confidentiality: Information pertaining to a student’s disability will only be disclosed to those with a need to know the information. Documentation is kept in a secure file within the ESDS Office.
- Information available in accessible formats
Students with disabilities have the responsibility to:
- Meet qualifications and maintain essential standards for courses and programs
- Adhere to the university’s honor statement. Students suspected of academic dishonesty will be referred for disciplinary action.
- Inform ESDS of accommodation needs by submitting a request form each semester
- Meet with ESDS staff for initial intake and provide appropriate and current documentation
- Work with ESDS, school liaison, and faculty regarding appropriate accommodations
- Present accommodation letter to faculty member (if applicable)
- Discuss with the faculty member how the accommodations are going to be implemented and explain about the situation, particularly testing accommodations (if applicable)
- Inform ESDS of barriers to a successful education
- Provide ESDS with annual evaluation of services