UM School Liaison and Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
School Liaison and Faculty have the responsibility to:
- Refer all students who identify themselves as disabled and request accommodations to ESDS.
- Work with ESDS and student to make courses accessible. (i.e.course content, texts and materials, assessment method, on-line instruction, time requirements)
- Work cooperatively with locations that serve as affiliates, clinical rotations, and field placements, to assist implementation of appropriate reasonable accommodations for students (if applicable).
- Support and implement reasonable accommodations as identified in a letter from ESDS
- Consult with ESDS if requests conflict with course objectives/requirements
- Protect students' privacy and confidentiality
- Include announcement on syllabus directing students to ESDS if they have need for an accommodation related to a disability
- Assist ESDS with identifying student assistants (i.e. note takers, readers, scribes).
The University has the right to:
- Request reasonable documentation of a disability for an accommodation
- Provide alternative accommodations
- Establish qualifications and essential standards for courses and programs
The University has the responsibility to:
- Provide equal access to programs and services to all students
- Inform students of procedures for requesting accommodations
- Accept and evaluate verifying documentation
- Maintain accurate documentation for each student
- Approve appropriate accommodations and provide student with letter
- Protect student’s privacy and confidentiality
- Provide and maintain adaptive equipment and technology
- Refer students with disabilities concerning community resources and support groups