Understanding Self and Others Group
Are you struggling in school, relationships or would just like to understand yourself better? Consider joining one of the Understanding Self & Others groups. This semester, there are 3 offerings, listed below. If you have any questions or if you are interested in finding out if a particular group has an opening, please contact the group facilitator. This is not a drop-in group. Each potential member is pre-screened by the facilitator to ensure that the group can meet their needs.
- Cost: Free
- Qualifications: Current UM students only. All groups are confidential and facilitated by a licensed or supervised Counseling Center Psychologist or licensed Social Worker.
- All members sign the Group Agreement Form. To open and print the form click here.
- Please contact us at 410-328-8404 if you would like more information
Group Counseling FAQ's
- What is group counseling?
- Why would I want group counseling instead of individual counseling?
- What happens during a typical group counseling session?
- What do I talk about in group counseling?
- Do I have to talk about my deepest, darkest secrets in group counseling?
- What kind of people go to group counseling?
- I’m shy and worried that I won’t talk in group counseling. Would group counseling still be helpful for me?
- If I am currently receiving individual or psychiatric services at SCC, can I also attend group counseling?
- Does group counseling count toward my limit of 6 sessions per semester (12 per academic year)?
- What if I am interested in group counseling, but not currently receiving services from SCC?
- Is what I say in group confidential?
- If I do not like group counseling, can I quit?