Home > Student Counseling Center > FAQ Group Counseling > Who Goes?

Who goes to Group Counseling?

Group counseling is available only for actively enrolled UM students.

All kinds of people find group counseling to be helpful. Some groups are general support groups and open to people with a variety of problems. Other groups, called theme groups, are for people with specific concerns, such as social anxiety or eating disorders.

If you are not an existing client of the counseling center, you will be asked to schedule a session with a clinician for an intake. Then you will be able to speak with the group facilitator to determine if group would be a good fit for you and what type of group would be most helpful. The clinician that you initially met with may or may not be the facilitator of the group you are interested in.

If you are an existing client of the Counseling Center, the intake has already been completed and you will be able to speak with the group facilitator before the first session.