The University of Maryland will hold its University-wide commencement exercise on Friday, May 17, 2013, at 2 p.m. at the 1st Mariner Arena (201 W. Baltimore St.). Doors to the arena will open at 1 p.m. for guests. Graduates are encouraged to participate in the University procession beginning at 1:15 p.m. from the Plaza Park to the 1st Mariner Arena, along with President Perman, deans, and faculty from all schools. Tickets are not required. The exercise will last no longer than two hours.
Components of the Ceremony
- National anthem
- Opening remarks
- Greetings from Board of Regents
- Greetings from student remarker
- Keynote address
- Conferring of honorary degree
- Conferring of graduate degrees
- Concluding remarks
Diplomas will be distributed at the conclusion of the ceremony.
Assembly Instructions for Graduates at 1st Mariner Arena
- Candidates should be in the 1st Mariner Arena assembly area by 1:30 p.m.
- Candidates should enter the main entrance of 1st Mariner Arena on Baltimore Street and follow the signs directing you to your degree assembly area. Only candidates are permitted to enter this area.
Genetic Counseling (MGC)
Law (JD) (LLM)
Dental Hygiene (BS)
Medical Technology (BS)
Graduate (PhD) (MS)
Nursing (DNP) (BSN)
Public Health (MPH)
Social Work (MSW)
Physical Therapy (DPT) (DScPT)
Once the ceremony has ended, proceed with your fellow graduates to the appropriate diploma station as directed by your school marshal.
General Information for Graduates and Guests
- Facilities are available to change into academic regalia at the arena. Male candidates for the master's degree should wear a long sleeve white shirt since there are only partial sleeves in the master's gown.
- Do not leave personal items under your chair during the exercise, as you might not return to the same seat after crossing the stage.
- Backpacks and large parcels are not permitted in the arena. Purses, briefcases, etc. are subject to inspection by arena staff.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited while participating in commencement exercises at 1st Mariner Arena.
- Lost-and-found information desks are located in the main lobby of the arena. A first-aid station is located on the lower concourse.
If you or one of your guests requires a wheelchair, you must provide your own and take full responsibility for it while at the event. The University of Maryland and 1st Mariner Arena do not accept responsibility for the security of any personal items, including wheelchairs and other assistive devices.
To inquire about assistance for persons with disabilities, please contact:
University of Maryland Office of Student Services – Ms. Cyndi Rice: firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-706-3171
1st Mariner Arena Box Office: 410-347-2020
Candidates are encouraged to have photographs taken at individual school ceremonies. Only authorized official photographers will be permitted on the arena floor during the ceremony. Photographs may be taken following diploma distribution.