Answering Questionnaires in Coeus
- Access the Questionnaire
- Complete the Questionnaire
- Edit the Questionnaire
- Validation Errors
- UMB Required Questions Reference Page
Questionnaires are used to complete required fields on federal proposal forms and to provide UM reviewers with more information about the proposal. Many questions are tied to validations and you will not be able to submit a proposal for approval without answering the questionnaire.
For the most part, only questions related to your proposal will need to be answered. For example, questions needed to complete an NIH proposal will not be required for a foundation proposal.
Respond to the questionnaire(s) before validating and submitting the proposal for approval.
The menu of available questionnaires for your proposal is on the left.
- Available questionnaires may include Corporate Activity, NSF Cover Page, PHS Fellowship Supplemental Form, and PHS Training Grant questionnaires.
- A questionnaire called UMB Required Questions is mandatory for all proposals.
- A questionnaire called s2s-Grants.gov Smart Questionnaire must be completed if the proposal will be submitted to Grants.gov via Coeus and the required questions should be triggered when the proposal is linked to a Grants.gov opportunity. NOTE: if the required questions are NOT triggered from a "yes" response, then the forms are not available in Coeus and Adobe Forms should be used.
Complete the questionnaire: Highlight the questionnaire to bring up the first question(s). Respond to the question(s) shown, then click the button "Save and Proceed" to bring up the next screen. Continue until all questions have been answered.
- Highlight the questionnaire and click the Edit icon, OR
- Highlight the questionnaire and select Edit → Modify
Validation errors: If you do not complete a mandatory questionnaire and attempt to submit for approval, a validation error and/or reminder will be generated.Some error messages from the Grants.gov validation will indicate that a required questionnaire has not been completed. If the field is empty, it is likely that the question was not answered.