Frequently Asked Questions


FAQs on other Coeus topics

Q. How do I add someone to the budget?
A. The PIs and Key Persons listed under Investigator and Key Person tabs will be automatically included in the Budget Persons screen.  You can select those whom you want to add to the Personnel Budget Details for a salary line item by highlighting their names and clicking OK. If you want to add a person who is not listed as an investigator or key person, here is what you do:  Open the budget in Edit mode, then select Edit→Persons (or click the "Running Man" icon) to open the Budget Persons screen. Then click the Search button to search for a UMB employee by last name, and click OK to add him/her to the Budget Persons screen. Enter the person's Institutional Base Salary. Add this individual to the personnel budget line item by opening Items→Personnel Budget (or click the "Iron Man" icon).  In the Personnel Budget screen, click Add, then select the person and click OK.

Q. I need to include a research technician in my budget but I will recruit the person only if I get the award.  How can I budget for a TBA?
A. Open the budget in Edit mode, then select Edit→Persons (or click the "Running Man" icon) to open the Budget Persons screen. Click the Add TBA button. Highlight the desired position title and click OK to add the position to the Budget Persons. Enter the estimated base salary in the calc base field. If none of the position titles offered is appropriate for your proposal, please contact the Office of Research and Development to request a new TBA.

Q. How do I add a budget item that is not on the list of available budget items (cost elements)?
A. Budget items should fit under one of the existing cost elements, which match those on the SF424 R&R Budget form. Review the guidelines for budget justifications and also the categories on the developing budgets page. If you still have questions, contact your SPA team.

Q. How are cost elements and F&A bases related?
A. Cost elements are mapped for each defined rate type so that they are either subject to F&A or not subject to F&A.

Q. How are the cost elements and fringe benefit rates related?
A. The cost elements in Coeus relate directly to those in eUM Financials, and also map correctly to the budget forms.

Q. How do I sync rates to the current rates?
A. When F&A or fringe benefit rates change, budgets for proposals in progress and copied proposals will need to be "synced" to reflect the new rates. 

F&A rates can be synced as follows:  go to the Budget module. Select Edit →Rates (or click on the % icon). Click the Sync button.

Fringe benefit rates are more complicated. 

  • For a new proposal or a proposal in progress that has never been routed or copied, go to the Budget module. Select Edit →Rates (or click on the % icon). Click the Sync button.
  • For a proposal that has already been routed and rejected, or if you have copied a previously approved proposal, you will need to highlight each cost element and click on Items → Personnel Budget Details (or click on "Iron Man" icon) and delete all listed salary. Once you have clicked OK, save your file. You will need to go into each year and do the same within each budgeted salary cost element. Once this is done, save your entire Coeus record. Go back to Period 1, enter the salary cost elements, and complete the Personnel Budget Details. Once you have completed Period 1 and saved it, highlight the cost element, then click on Items → Apply To Later Periods. This will create the budget for this cost element through the rest of the periods listed.
  • OR you can create a whole new budget after syncing the rates.

Q. How do I apply the NIH/HHS Salary Cap?

  • The NIH/HHS Salary Cap is tied to the federal Executive Level II salary level, $179,700.
  • This salary cap applies to NIH and to other HHS agencies as of 12/23/11. It may also apply to other federal agencies such as the Department of Labor, depending upon the annual appropriation language.
  • The PHS SF424 R&R application instructions state the following for detailed budgets:  for Base Salary, "Enter the annual compensation paid by the employer for each Senior/Key person. This includes all activities such as research, teaching, patient care, or other.”  For UM, this translates to Institutional Base Salary (IBS). There is further clarification under the application instructions for field name "Requested Salary”:  “Any adjustment for salary limits will be made at the time of award.” 
  • Similarly, the PHS398 instructions require the Institutional Base Salary, and state that any adjustment for salary limits will be made at the time of award.
  • When the IBS exceeds the salary cap, calculate the appropriate percent of salary to charge to the grant. First, multiply the federal salary level ($179,700) times the actual effort that the investigator proposes to commit to the project. Then, take that result and divide by the investigator's IBS. Use the answer to that calculation as the % Charged in the Personnel Budget Details ("Iron Man") screen, and use the actual effort as the % Effort.

    Example:  Investigator's IBS = $250,000.  Effort committed = 25%
    .25 x $179,700 = $44,925
    $44,925/$250,000 = .1797
    Enter 17.97% under % Charged; enter 25% under % Effort
    NOTE:  Coeus will add inflation as of 7/1 annually, even in Period 1.

  • The annual inflation increase should normally be applied.
  • Uncheck the "Submit Cost Sharing" box on the Budget Summary screen.

Q. Why did Coeus pick a particular rate to apply to my proposal?
A. Coeus looks at several data elements within the proposal to decide what rates should be applied to a budget.  These data elements include the Start and End Dates and the Activity Type on the Proposal Tab, the OH Rate Type on the Budget Summary Tab, and the on/off campus flag on each budget line item. 

Q. I am in an off-campus building. How do I designate the off-campus F&A rate?
A. The on- or off-campus designation is on the Budget Summary Tab.  Select off-campus or on-campus from the On/Off Campus dropdown menu.  Do not leave the selection at "Default". 
List of UMB on-campus buildings and examples of off-campus buildings

Q. If my F&A rate isn't standard what do I do?  I’m applying for a grant and the sponsor’s policy allows an overhead rate that is lower than the federal rate.
A. First determine whether the F&A rate should be applied to Total Direct Costs (TDC), Modified Total Direct Costs (MTDC - the base used for federal awards), or Salaries and Wages (S&W). Use the "OH Rate Type" dropdown menu on the Budget Summary tab to choose the correct rate type (base). Standard F&A rates and definitions

To change the rate from the default rate to the percentage allowed by the Sponsor, go to Edit → Rates to change the default rate.  The F&A rate used must be an established rate available in the Sponsor's policy or application instructions.  In the Applicable Rates column, adjust the rates as needed for ALL years shown. Select OK. To change all the Rates back to the default values (Institute Rates), Select Reset.