Center for Information Technology Services
End User License Agreement for Symantec for Personal Computers
SYMANTEC CORPORATION AND/OR ITS AFFILIATES ("SYMANTEC") IS WILLING TO LICENSE THE LICENSED SOFTWARE TO YOU AS THE INDIVIDUAL, THE COMPANY, OR THE LEGAL ENTITY THAT WILL BE UTILIZING THE LICENSED SOFTWARE (REFERENCED BELOW AS "YOU" OR "YOUR") ONLY ON THE CONDITION THAT YOU ACCEPT ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT ("LICENSE AGREEMENT"). READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE LICENSED SOFTWARE. THIS IS A LEGAL AND ENFORCEABLE CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AND SYMANTEC. BY OPENING THE LICENSED SOFTWARE PACKAGE, BREAKING THE LICENSED SOFTWARE SEAL, CLICKING THE "I AGREE" OR "YES" BUTTON, OR OTHERWISE INDICATING ASSENT ELECTRONICALLY, OR LOADING THE LICENSED SOFTWARE OR OTHERWISE USING THE LICENSED SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, CLICK THE "I DO NOT AGREE" OR "NO" BUTTON OR OTHERWISE INDICATE REFUSAL AND MAKE NO FURTHER USE OF THE LICENSED SOFTWARE. UNLESS OTHERWISE DEFINED HEREIN, CAPITALIZED TERMS WILL HAVE THE MEANING GIVEN IN THE "DEFINITIONS" SECTION OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT AND SUCH CAPITALIZED TERMS MAY BE USED IN THE SINGULAR OR IN THE PLURAL, AS THE CONTEXT REQUIRES.
1. DEFINITIONS. "Content Updates" means content used by certain Symantec products which is updated from time to time, including but not limited to: updated anti-spyware definitions for anti-spyware products; updated antispam rules for antispam products; updated virus definitions for antivirus and crimeware products; updated URL lists for content filtering and antiphishing products; updated firewall rules for firewall products; updated intrusion detection data for intrusion detection products; updated lists of authenticated web pages for website authentication products; updated policy compliance rules for policy compliance products; and updated vulnerability signatures for vulnerability assessment products. "Documentation" means the user documentation Symantec provides with the Licensed Software. "License Instrument" means one or more of the following applicable documents which further defines Your license rights to the Licensed Software: a Symantec license certificate or a similar license document issued by Symantec, or a written agreement between You and Symantec, that accompanies, precedes or follows this License Agreement. "Licensed Software" means the Symantec software product, in object code form, accompanying this License Agreement, including any Documentation included in, or provided for use with, such software or that accompanies this License Agreement. "Support Certificate" means the certificate sent by Symantec confirming Your purchase of the applicable Symantec maintenance/support for the Licensed Software. "Upgrade" means any version of the Licensed Software that has been released to the public and which replaces the prior version of the Licensed Software on Symantecs price list pursuant to Symantecs then-current upgrade policies. "Use Level" means the license use meter or model (which may include operating system, hardware system, application or machine tier limitations, if applicable) by which Symantec measures, prices and licenses the right to use the Licensed Software, in effect at the time an order is placed for such Licensed Software, as indicated in this License Agreement and the applicable License Instrument.
2. LICENSE GRANT. Subject to Your compliance with the terms and conditions of this License Agreement, Symantec grants to You the following rights: (i) a non-exclusive, non-transferable (except as stated otherwise in Section 16.1) license to use the Licensed Software solely in support of Your internal business operations in the quantities and at the Use Levels described in this License Agreement and the applicable License Instrument; and (ii) the right to make a single uninstalled copy of the Licensed Software for archival purposes which You may use and install for disaster-recovery purposes (i.e. where the primary installation of the Licensed Software becomes unavailable for use).
2.1 TERM. The term of the Licensed Software license granted under this License Agreement shall be perpetual (subject to Section 14) unless stated otherwise in Section 17 or unless You have obtained the Licensed Software on a non-perpetual basis, such as, under a subscription or term-based license for the period of time indicated on the applicable License Instrument. If You have obtained the Licensed Software on a non-perpetual basis, Your rights to use such Licensed Software shall end on the applicable end date as indicated on the applicable License Instrument and You shall cease use of the Licensed Software as of such applicable end date.
3. LICENSE RESTRICTIONS. You may not, without Symantecs prior written consent, conduct, cause or permit the: (i) use, copying, modification, rental, lease, sublease, sublicense, or transfer of the Licensed Software except as expressly provided in this License Agreement; (ii) creation of any derivative works based on the Licensed Software; (iii) reverse engineering, disassembly, or decompiling of the Licensed Software (except that You may decompile the Licensed Software for the purposes of interoperability only to the extent permitted by and subject to strict compliance under applicable law); (iv) use of the Licensed Software in connection with service bureau, facility management, timeshare, service provider or like activity whereby You operate or use the Licensed Software for the benefit of a third party; (v) use of the Licensed Software by any party other than You; (vi) use of a later version of the Licensed Software other than the version that accompanies this License Agreement unless You have separately acquired the right to use such later version through a License Instrument or Support Certificate; nor (vii) use of the Licensed Software above the quantity and Use Level that have been licensed to You under this License Agreement or the applicable License Instrument.
4. OWNERSHIP/TITLE. The Licensed Software is the proprietary property of Symantec or its licensors and is protected by copyright law. Symantec and its licensors retain any and all rights, title and interest in and to the Licensed Software, including in all copies, improvements, enhancements, modifications and derivative works of the Licensed Software. Your rights to use the Licensed Software shall be limited to those expressly granted in this License Agreement. All rights not expressly granted to You are retained by Symantec and/or its licensors.
5. CONTENT UPDATES. If You purchase a Symantec maintenance/support offering consisting of or including Content Updates, as indicated on Your Support Certificate, You are granted the right to use, as part of the Licensed Software, such Content Updates as and when they are made generally available to Symantecs end user customers who have purchased such maintenance/support offering and for such period of time as indicated on the face of the applicable Support Certificate. This License Agreement does not otherwise permit You to obtain and use Content Updates.
6. UPGRADES/CROSS-GRADES. Symantec reserves the right to require that any upgrades (if any) of the Licensed Software may only be obtained in a quantity equal to the number indicated on the applicable License Instrument. An upgrade to an existing license shall not be deemed to increase the number of licenses which You are authorized to use. Additionally, if You upgrade a Licensed Software license, or purchase a Licensed Software license listed on the applicable License Instrument to cross-grade an existing license (i.e. to increase its functionality, and/or transfer it to a new operating system, hardware tier or licensing meter), then Symantec issues the applicable Licensed Instrument based on the understanding that You agree to cease using the original license. Any such license upgrade or cross-grade is provided under Symantecs policies in effect at the time of order. This License Agreement does not separately license You for additional licenses beyond those which You have purchased, and which have been authorized by Symantec as indicated on the applicable License Instrument.
7. LIMITED WARRANTY.
7.1. MEDIA WARRANTY. If Symantec provides the Licensed Software to You on tangible media, Symantec warrants that the magnetic media upon which the Licensed Software is recorded will not be defective under normal use, for a period of ninety (90) days from delivery. Symantec will replace any defective media returned to Symantec within the warranty period at no charge to You. The above warranty is inapplicable in the event the Licensed Software media becomes defective due to unauthorized use of the Licensed Software. THE FOREGOING IS YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR SYMANTECS BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY.
7.2. PERFORMANCE WARRANTY. Symantec warrants that the Licensed Software, as delivered by Symantec and when used in accordance with the Documentation, will substantially conform to the Documentation for a period of ninety (90) days from delivery. If the Licensed Software does not comply with this warranty and such non-compliance is reported by You to Symantec within the ninety (90) day warranty period, Symantec will do one of the following, selected at Symantecs reasonable discretion: either (i) repair the Licensed Software, (ii) replace the Licensed Software with software of substantially the same functionality, or (iii) terminate this License Agreement and refund the relevant license fees paid for such non-compliant Licensed Software. The above warranty specifically excludes defects resulting from accident, abuse, unauthorized repair, modifications or enhancements, or misapplication. THE FOREGOING IS YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR SYMANTECS BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY.
8. WARRANTY DISCLAIMERS. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE WARRANTIES SET FORTH IN SECTIONS 7.1 AND 7.2 ARE YOUR EXCLUSIVE WARRANTIES AND ARE IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. SYMANTEC MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS THAT THE LICENSED SOFTWARE, CONTENT UPDATES OR UPGRADES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT OPERATION OR USE OF THE LICENSED SOFTWARE, CONTENT UPDATES, AND UPGRADES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER WARRANTY RIGHTS, WHICH MAY VARY FROM STATE TO STATE AND COUNTRY TO COUNTRY.
9. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER ANY REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE, IN NO EVENT WILL SYMANTEC OR ITS LICENSORS, RESELLERS, SUPPLIERS OR AGENTS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR (i) ANY COSTS OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE OR REPLACEMENT GOODS AND SERVICES, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF OR CORRUPTION TO DATA, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF PRODUCTION, LOSS OF REVENUES, LOSS OF CONTRACTS, LOSS OF GOODWILL, OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS OR WASTED MANAGEMENT AND STAFF TIME; OR (ii) ANY SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR INDIRECT DAMAGES WHETHER ARISING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY OUT OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT, EVEN IF SYMANTEC OR ITS LICENSORS, RESELLERS, SUPPLIERS OR AGENTS HAS BEEN ADVISED SUCH DAMAGES MIGHT OCCUR. IN NO CASE SHALL SYMANTECS LIABILITY EXCEED THE FEES YOU PAID FOR THE LICENSED SOFTWARE GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM. NOTHING IN THIS AGREEMENT SHALL OPERATE SO AS TO EXCLUDE OR LIMIT SYMANTECS LIABILITY TO YOU FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY ARISING OUT OF NEGLIGENCE OR FOR ANY OTHER LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED BY LAW. THE DISCLAIMERS AND LIMITATIONS SET FORTH ABOVE WILL APPLY REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT YOU ACCEPT THE LICENSED SOFTWARE, CONTENT UPDATES OR UPGRADES.
10. MAINTENANCE/SUPPORT. Symantec has no obligation under this License Agreement to provide maintenance/support for the Licensed Software. Any maintenance/support purchased for the Licensed Software is subject to Symantecs then-current maintenance/support policies.
11. SOFTWARE EVALUATION. If the Licensed Software is provided to You for evaluation purposes and You have an evaluation agreement with Symantec for the Licensed Software, Your rights to evaluate the Licensed Software will be pursuant to the terms of such evaluation agreement. If You do not have an evaluation agreement with Symantec for the Licensed Software and if You are provided the Licensed Software for evaluation purposes, the following terms and conditions shall apply. Symantec grants to You a nonexclusive, temporary, royalty-free, non-assignable license to use the Licensed Software solely for internal non-production evaluation. Such evaluation license shall terminate (i) on the end date of the pre-determined evaluation period, if an evaluation period is pre-determined in the Licensed Software or (ii) sixty (60) days from the date of Your initial installation of the Licensed Software, if no such evaluation period is pre-determined in the Licensed Software ("Evaluation Period"). The Licensed Software may not be transferred and is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. You are solely responsible to take appropriate measures to back up Your system and take other measures to prevent any loss of files or data. The Licensed Software may contain an automatic disabling mechanism that prevents its use after a certain period of time. Upon expiration of the Licensed Software Evaluation Period, You will cease use of the Licensed Software and destroy all copies of the Licensed Software. All other terms and conditions of this License Agreement shall otherwise apply to Your evaluation of the Licensed Software as permitted herein.
12. U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS. The Licensed Software is deemed to be commercial computer software as defined in FAR 12.212 and subject to restricted rights as defined in FAR Section 52.227-19 "Commercial Computer Licensed Software - Restricted Rights" and DFARS 227.7202, "Rights in Commercial Computer Licensed Software or Commercial Computer Licensed Software Documentation", as applicable, and any successor regulations. Any use, modification, reproduction release, performance, display or disclosure of the Licensed Software by the U.S. Government shall be solely in accordance with the terms of this License Agreement.
13. EXPORT REGULATION. You acknowledge that the Licensed Software and related technical data and services (collectively "Controlled Technology") are subject to the import and export laws of the United States, specifically the U.S. Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and the laws of any country where Controlled Technology is imported or re-exported. You agree to comply with all relevant laws and will not export any Controlled Technology in contravention to U.S. law nor to any prohibited country, entity, or person for which an export license or other governmental approval is required. All Symantec products, including the Controlled Technology are prohibited for export or re-export to Cuba, North Korea, Iran, Syria and Sudan and to any country subject to relevant trade sanctions. You hereby agree that You will not export or sell any Controlled Technology for use in connection with chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons, or missiles, drones or space launch vehicles capable of delivering such weapons.
14. TERMINATION. This License Agreement shall terminate upon Your breach of any term contained herein. Upon termination, You shall immediately stop using and destroy all copies of the Licensed Software.
15. SURVIVAL. The following provisions of this License Agreement survive termination of this License Agreement: Definitions, License Restrictions and any other restrictions on use of intellectual property, Ownership/Title, Warranty Disclaimers, Limitation of Liability, U.S. Government Restricted Rights, Export Regulation, Survival, and General.
16.1. ASSIGNMENT. You may not assign the rights granted hereunder or this License Agreement, in whole or in part and whether by operation of contract, law or otherwise, without Symantecs prior express written consent.
16.2. COMPLIANCE WITH APPLICABLE LAW. You are solely responsible for Your compliance with, and You agree to comply with, all applicable laws, rules, and regulations in connection with Your use of the Licensed Software.
16.3. AUDIT. An auditor, selected by Symantec and reasonably acceptable to You, may, upon reasonable notice and during normal business hours, but not more often than once each year, inspect Your records and deployment in order to confirm that Your use of the Licensed Software complies with this License Agreement and the applicable License Instrument. Symantec shall bear the costs of any such audit, except where the audit demonstrates that the Manufacturers Suggested Reseller Price (MSRP) value of Your non-compliant usage exceeds five percent (5%) of the MSRP value of Your compliant deployments. In such case, in addition to purchasing appropriate licenses for any over-deployed Licensed Software, You shall reimburse Symantec for the auditors reasonable actual fees for such audit.
16.4. GOVERNING LAW; SEVERABILITY; WAIVER. If You are located in North America or Latin America, this License Agreement will be governed by the laws of the State of California, United States of America. If You are located in China, this License Agreement will be governed by the laws of the Peoples Republic of China. Otherwise, this License Agreement will be governed by the laws of England. Such governing laws are exclusive of any provisions of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for Sale of Goods, including any amendments thereto, and without regard to principles of conflicts of law. If any provision of this License Agreement is found partly or wholly illegal or unenforceable, such provision shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible, and remaining provisions of this License Agreement shall remain in full force and effect. A waiver of any breach or default under this License Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of any other subsequent breach or default.
16.5. THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS. This Licensed Software may contain third party software programs ("Third Party Programs") that are available under open source or free software licenses. This License Agreement does not alter any rights or obligations You may have under those open source or free software licenses. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in such licenses, the disclaimer of warranties and the limitation of liability provisions in this License Agreement shall apply to such Third Party Programs.
16.6. CUSTOMER SERVICE. Should You have any questions concerning this License Agreement, or if You desire to contact Symantec for any reason, please write to: (i) Symantec Enterprise Customer Care, 555 International Way, Springfield, Oregon 97477, U.S.A., (ii) Symantec Enterprise Customer Care Center, PO BOX 5689, Dublin 15, Ireland, or (iii) Symantec Enterprise Customer Care, 1 Julius Ave, North Ryde, NSW 2113, Australia.
16.7. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This License Agreement and any related License Instrument are the complete and exclusive agreement between You and Symantec relating to the Licensed Software and supersede any previous or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals, and representations with respect to its subject matter. This License Agreement prevails over any conflicting or additional terms of any purchase order, ordering document, acknowledgement or confirmation or other document issued by You, even if signed and returned. This License Agreement may only be modified by a License Instrument that accompanies or follows this License Agreement.
17. ADDITIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS. Your use of the Licensed Software is subject to the terms and conditions below in addition to those stated above.
17.1. ADDITIONAL DEFINITIONS
"Server" means a standalone system or an individual computer acting as a service or resource provider to client computers by sharing the resources within the network infrastructure. A Server can run server software for other computers or devices. "Terabyte" means the total aggregate amount of uncompressed data storage capacity and/or computer memory that is managed by the software. One Terabyte is equal to 1,024 gigabytes of data. "User(s)" means an individual person and/or device authorized by You to use and/or benefit from the use of the Licensed Software, or is the person and/or device who actually uses any portion of the Licensed Software.
17.2 ADDITIONAL LICENSE RIGHTS AND RESTRICTIONS
17.2.A You may use the Licensed Software for the number of licensed User(s) and at the Use Levels as have been licensed to You by Symantec herein and as indicated in the applicable License Instrument. Your License Instrument shall constitute proof of Your right to make and use such copies.
17.2.B If the License Instrument indicates that You have received a license for Symantec Endpoint Protection for Network Servers or Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business for Network Servers ("SEP Network Server"), You may use such SEP Network Server on a per Server basis and at the Use Levels as have been licensed to You by Symantec herein and as indicated in the applicable License Instrument. Your License Instrument shall constitute proof of Your right to make and use such copies.
17.2.C If the License Instrument indicates that You have received a license for Symantec Endpoint Protection for EMC "SEP EMC"), You may use such SEP EMC on a per Terabyte basis and at the Use Levels as have been licensed to You by Symantec herein and as indicated in the applicable License Instrument. Your License Instrument shall constitute proof of Your right to make and use such copies.
17.3 Symantec Endpoint Protection Virtual Instances. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this License Agreement, if the Licensed Software is Symantec Endpoint Protection ("SEP"), each running instance (physical and/or virtual) of such Licensed Software must be licensed. You create an "instance" of software by executing the softwares setup or install procedure. You also create an "instance" of software by duplicating an existing instance. References to the Licensed Software include "instances" of the Licensed Software. You "run an instance" of software by loading it into memory and executing one or more of its instructions. Once running, an instance is considered to be running (whether or not its instructions continue to execute) until it is removed from memory.
17.4 Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Windows XP Mode Functionality. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 17.2, if You are using the SEP agent on the Microsoft Windows version 7 operating system ("Windows 7"), and if the particular Windows 7 operating system on which You are running the SEP agent permits the use of the "Windows XP Mode" functionality, the following shall apply: Every running instance (physical and/or virtual) of the SEP agent must be licensed, with the exception that You may run one (1) single additional instance of the SEP agent using the Windows XP Mode functionality without paying an additional license fee. To run two (2) or more additional instances of the SEP agent using the Windows XP Mode functionality, You must pay the corresponding additional license fees for each additional instance.
17.5 Symantec Protection Suite Advanced Business Edition. If You have licensed the Symantec Protection Suite Advanced Business Edition, which includes both SEP and SEP Small Business Edition, the following additional terms and conditions shall apply: You are entitled to use either SEP and/or SEP Small Business Edition, so long as the total number of instances (as described in Section 17.2) of SEP and/or SEP Small Business Edition does not exceed the total number of Symantec Protection Suite Advanced Business Edition licenses You have purchased. For purposes of clarity, the total number of installed instances of SEP and/or SEP Small Business Edition must not exceed the number of licenses of Symantec Protection Suite Advanced Business Edition that You have purchased. For example, if You have purchased ten (10) licenses of Symantec Protection Suite Advanced Business Edition, You are entitled to install either: a) ten (10) SEP agents, or b) ten (10) SEP Small Business Edition agents, or c) any combination of SEP and SEP Small Business Edition agents, so long as the total number of agents does not exceed ten (10).
17.6 Symantec Protection Suite ý Use of Symantec Network Access Control. If You have licensed Symantec Network Access Control ("SNAC") as part of the Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition or Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition for Endpoints, You may only use the self-enforcement functionality of SNAC, and You may not use any other features of SNAC. If You have licensed SNAC as part of the Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition for Gateway, You may only use the Gateway Enforcement and on-demand client functionalities of SNAC, and You may not use any other features of SNAC.
17.7 Privacy; Data Protection. From time to time, the Licensed Software may collect certain information from the device on which it is installed, which may include:
(i) Information on potential security risks as well as URLs of websites visited that the Licensed Software deems potentially fraudulent. The URLs could contain personally identifiable information that a potentially fraudulent website is attempting to obtain without Your permission. This information is collected by Symantec for the purpose of evaluating and improving the ability of Symantecs products to detect malicious behavior, potentially fraudulent websites and other Internet security risks. This information will not be correlated with any personally identifiable information.
(ii) Portable executable files and files with executable content that are identified as malware, including information on the actions taken by such files at the time of installation. These files are submitted to Symantec using the Licensed Softwares automatic submission function. The collected files could contain personally identifiable information. Symantec does not access or process the information. The information is not necessary for the product to function. Files of this type are being collected by Symantec only for the purpose of improving the ability of Symantecs products to detect malicious behavior. Symantec will not correlate these files with any personally identifiable information. Such automatic submission function may be deactivated after installation by following the instructions in the Documentation for applicable products.
(iii) Status information regarding installation and operation of the Licensed Software. This information indicates to Symantec whether installation of the Licensed Software was successfully completed as well as whether the Licensed Software has encountered an error. The status information could contain personally identifiable information only if such information is included in the name of the file or folder encountered by the Licensed Software at the time of installation or error. The status information is collected by Symantec for the purpose of evaluating and improving Symantecs product performance and installation success rate. This information will not be correlated with any personally identifiable information.
(iv) If You install Central Quarantine, the software may submit usernames, company name, domain name, workstation name and potential malware samples. As a result, personal information captured by the malware may also be transmitted to Symantec.
(v) Other information used for purposes of analyzing and improving the functionality of Symantecs products. This information will not be correlated with any personally identifiable information.
The collected information as set out above is necessary for the purpose of optimizing the functionality of Symantecs products. With regard to personal information of Your users it is Your responsibility to ensure that disclosure of such information to Symantec is consistent and compliant with national laws governing the collection, use and protection of personal information applicable to Your country/region of operation. It is Your responsibility to inform users that You are providing their information to Symantec in the United States or other countries that may have less protective data protection laws than the region in which they are situated (including the European Economic Area), to inform them of how it will be used and that You have all appropriate consents required for such transfer and use. Symantec is a global organization and any information collected during the operation of the licensed software may be accessible on a global basis by Symantecs affiliates, partners and subcontractors, including in countries that may have less protective data protection laws than the country in which You are located. Symantec may disclose the collected information if asked to do so by a law enforcement official as required or permitted by law or in response to a subpoena or other legal process. In order to promote awareness, detection and prevention of Internet security risks, Symantec may share certain information with research organizations and other security software vendors. Symantec may also use statistics derived from the information to track and publish reports on security risk trends. Data will be retained as long as necessary for the sole purpose of internal development and threat analysis. By using the Licensed Software, You acknowledge and agree that Symantec may collect, transmit, store, disclose and analyze such information for these purposes.