Center for Information Technology Services
Directory Services and Identity Management
Currently all UM employees (Faculty and Staff) and all UM students exist in the UM-DS and can utilize it. There are also over 1400 affiliate users that people in UPI, UMMS, Dental Corporation, UMBI, or other affiliation that require access to UM-DS connected applications or services. Anyone that needs to become part of the UM-DS has the ability to do so upon application and sponsorship.
The goal of the UM Directory Service (UM-DS) is to:
- Provide a central system for user authentication and identity information
- Have a central repository that provides a common username and password for users to every application that use the service
- Ensure demographic person data is consistent across enterprise applications by leveraging identity information
- Require minimal user intervention and system administration to maintain
CITS has developed a number of resources for Schools and departments to use to employ UM-DS in their environments, including:
- A copy of the UM-DS schema (the listing of all information stored for each user)
- Code snippets that assist custom applications to connect to UM-DS
- Standard configuration data that LDAP capable applications typically require
- Recent presentations and best practices
In addition, CITS is available for strategic and technical consultation concerning Identity Management and taking advantage of the UM-DS by emailing us at DL-CITS Directory Services.
For an overview of UM-DS and next steps, download/view the UM Directory Services Implementation Guide.
The myUM ID went live in Fall 2007. The myUM ID allows users to define their own enterprise directory username. This username can then be used to authenticate into any application or service connected to the enterprise UM-DS. This ID can be leveraged not only by central applications, but also by individual schools and departments that utilize the UM-DS. The myUM ID and other features of your myUM account can be administered at the myUM Account Management Site.
Brian Coats, Director