Center for Information Technology Services
Connecting with the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client (Windows)
BEFORE INSTALLING or CONNECTING to the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client:
- Check the system requirements.
- Know your myUM login and password.
- Get your VPN Group name from your network or vpn administrator.
Installing the AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN client
- Point your browser to http://vpn.umaryland.edu. When prompted, enter your UMID, password and select the VPN group you have been assigned to from the drop down list.
The Cisco AnyConnect client download will begin.
- If you receive a certificate warning such as the one below, click Yes to accept the certificate and continue the installation.
- If a security message about Active X appears, allow it to run.
- The installer windows will appear.
Depending upon your connection speed, the download & install times will vary. Please be patient!
- Once the installation has completed, you should see a “connection established” status box in your browser screen:
- You will also briefly see a blue box just above the system tray at the lower right of your screen and an icon in the system tray to indicate you are connected:
- Close the browser.
Disconnecting the AnyConnect VPN client
- Right click the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client icon in your system tray.
- Select VPN Disconnect.
- Select Quit to Close the Cisco AnyConnect Mobility VPN Client.
Reconnecting to the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
You can connect to the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client using two different methods:
From the Start menu:
- Click the Cisco folder to open it.
- Click the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN Client folder to open it. You’ll see the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN Client program in the folder.
- Click the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN Client.
- Click "connect" to connect to vpn.umaryland.edu.
On the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN Client screen, choose the appropriate VPN Group for you from the GROUP pull-down menu.
Enter your UMID and password.
- Click "OK" to connect.
When you are connected, you will briefly see the box displayed above the task bar just above the system tray and the icon, located in the system tray, which indicates connection. This icon, represented by two green dots and a gold lock, is circled in the image below.
Login in at http://vpn.umaryland.edu.
The auto-install process will begin. Follow the instructions for Installing the AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN Client again.