Center for Information Technology Services
Blackboard Steering Committee
Minutes for 11/08/2001
Attendees: Brent Nickles, Brook Botvin, Sarita Sanjoy, Marian Jackson, Tom Connolly, Jeff Hawk, Harry Debusk, Kent Buckingham, and Barbara Zirkin
• Integration of Blackboard and Banner: Kent
- Pat and Melinda want to hold a meeting with our group and the SIMS team to discuss what needs to be done to move from a level 2 to level 3. Kent has extended this meeting to members of the BBSteering Committee.
• Campus Backup Scheme for Blackboard: Brent
- Blackboard runs on 2 servers, an application server, and a database server. Each server has a full backup on Sunday. Monday – Saturday are incremental backups. In addition, a warm backup is performed daily on the database itself (Oracle).
Instructors have the ability to ‘export’ courses that they own at any time. I will follow up with Blackboard to see if this is good practice to further ensure the safety of blackboard data.
Two additional questions were raised: Do the instructors have the ability to “import”, and if this is good practice to ‘export’, can we batch export every course.
• Webmail/Mailspinner: Kent
- We are still waiting on Blackboard to determine if this is an option.
• Horizon Live
- I’ll talk to the vendor to get pricing and possibly a demo version of the product.
Questions to/from the users:
1. Discussion Groups - Brent
I have added school discussion groups to the community tab.
Harry also would like time availability of discussion groups. I’ll forward this off to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Virtual Classroom – Sarita
Sarita is having problems using powerpoint when it is directly on her workstation. She can only get it to work when she puts in a URL.