Center for Information Technology Services
UMB Wireless Strategy
Goal: To enable the creation of a robust, secure wireless network environment that protects against security breaches while supporting appropriate access to data for UMB research, teaching, and administrative operations.
- To implement and maintain for the campus: a document of best practices for the creation of secure wireless networks (completed).
- To develop an awareness of the need for security especially in wireless installations throughout the entire UMB community (on-going).
- To assist with the implementation of wireless connectivity in the university community.
Current State: UMB now has a few areas of wireless connectivity. These areas are conforming to the current standards for securing wireless networks. Future installations will be able to use the standards as a template for creating a secure wireless network.
April 2003 to July 2003 and Ongoing
- Finalized Wireless Security Policy
- Worked with HS/HSL Library technical staff to create a plan to install a wireless network for students, faculty and staff.
- Communicating and working with schools and departments on wireless projects, including those projects in the planning stage as well as those in the implementation stage.
Outcome: UMB will advance wireless technology and benefit from mobile network access. This access will be secure. Collaboration and communication with campus IT administrators will result in common solutions for protecting data, while at the same time, ensuring mobile access to data for those who need it. UMB faculty, students and staff will work in a wireless networked environment that is monitored and protected by appropriate tools and by a skilled and knowledgeable staff.