Center for Information Technology Services
Assistance and Service Center (ASC) Ongoing Support
Update July 2003
Goal: To implement a central service center providing "tier one" help as well as training, documentation and other forms of end-user support for UMB enterprise-wide systems.
- To provide ongoing support and training for eUMB, SIMS/SURFS, e-mail, ORD RDW (Research Data Warehouse), UMnet and Blackboard.
- To coordinate and collaborate with other Help Desks and Service Centers across the enterprise to provide effective and quality services.
- To provide effective, timely and quality IT application training in areas identified by the various Help Desks, End Users and Business Process Owners.
- To proactively inform and educate the campus community on technology upgrades, enhancements and issues.
Current State: (April-June 2003)
Since the start of ASC operations on October 14, 2002, the staffs of the Help Desk and Enterprise Training Group have been providing user support, training and documentation as part of the implementation of enterprise-wide systems in the areas of student information management (SIMS); human resources, payroll and commitment accounting (eUMB); consolidated e-mail; instructional technology (Blackboard); and research support.
- Supports eUMB, SIMS/SURFS, e-mail (Outlook, GroupWise, UMnet, WebMail and Pine Mail), Research Data Warehouse, BlackBoard, and Lists.
- Continues to update the Knowledgebase with current solutions for future support.
- For the second quarter, 2920 Help Desk cases were logged with the following statistics: 87% were resolved within 1 day, 89% within 2 days, 90% within 3 days, and 94% within 1 week. Of the 2920 cases, 75% were resolved at the ASC Help Desk while 25% were forwarded to Tier 2 support for resolution.
- Participated in the SON new students & Residents orientations. "Review & use of UMnet accounts" was presented & UMnet user IDs & passwords were distributed.
Enterprise Training Group
- Developed numerous custom courses--including Training Guides--on the implemented applications; delivered over 120 training sessions.
- Continued support of eUMB end users with biweekly hands-on "Enter Data with the Experts" sessions and periodic "Lunch 'N Learn" informational presentations on key topics.
- Updated Phase 2 eUMB training materials (Time & Labor and Commitment Accounting) and posted to Web, along with supporting materials such as Glossary, FAQs, Tips and Tricks, etc.
- Researched and resolved Remedy Help Desk tickets, proposed solutions for Knowledge Base, worked to facilitate shift of daily user support from Business Process Owners to Help Desk.
- Shared Enterprise Applications training experience with other campuses by presenting at USM Internal PeopleSoft Conference (eUMB) and national Banner Users Conference (SIMS).
- Further strengthen operations, plan future support services, and maintain relationships with other UMB, UMMS, and UPI support operations.
- Complete the development of a campus-wide applications database to be used by all the Help Desks to share information regarding their respective supported applications.
- Continue to capture and report on the most frequent HelpDesk issues.
- Assist with orientation programs for new fall students at various schools. Distribute the Help Desk marketing brochures to all the new students.
- Enhance the ASC web page with pertinent information.
Enterprise Training Group
- Enhance Web offerings of user support materials, including customized WLA (Web-based Learning Assistant) segments for eUMB Time & Labor and Commitment Accounting.
- Continue to evolve eUMB Phase 2 training and user support offerings as user needs change; facilitate transition of primary user training to business process owners (FS-Payroll, HRS).
- Continue facilitating effective communications to Enterprise System users through direct e-mail bulletins, organizing and presenting at user meetings, facilitating User Group activities.
- Develop new desktop office applications training program open to students, faculty, and staff.
- Edit and publish first edition of CITS Newsletter.