Center for Information Technology Services
Updated November, 2003
To enhance the web presence for the schools and the university, as a whole, by building dynamic and interactive environments for sharing and collecting information.
- To produce a sense of community by building a place for collaboration and exchange of information.
- To allow for seamless and real-time communication.
- To create a dynamic and interactive environment for the transmission of information.
- To serve as a repository of academic and administrative information for the purpose of being more efficient with processing forms, maintaining data and reporting this information.
- To establish a standard software tool, central hardware platform and education program offering that will assist faculty and staff in the development of a state-of-the-art web environment.
UMB has a web development department and has standardized on web development software (ColdFusion) and hardware platform. A Content Management System (CMS) was recently purchased and implemented. The CMS will allow for easier and more efficient updates to content on web pages.
Aug - Sept 2003:
- Completed faculty, student, staff, alumni, and executive Intranets and backend administrative modules that maintain links and news information.
- Completed Freezer Program (phase 2) Application and Online Ordering application. Provides shopping cart, reports, and order tracking capabilities.
- Developed Online application for ASC Helpdesk that will provide all UMB helpdesk's with information about all major applications on campus and the helpdesk responsible for assisting with each application.
- Developed SSW Online Registration Application that will be used for their training department courses. Registration, Forms, and Reports included.
Oct 2003 - Dec 2003:
- Continue assisting interested departments, administrative units, and schools with redesigning their web sites using a variety of web tools and standards.
- Redesigning existing Dental School web site and create new site on the UMB web server that will include administration module, database and application changes/enhancements, and content management capabilities.
- Developed Online Helpdesk Search with information in Remedy database.
- Developed Software Licensing Application for CITS Department.
- Provided training to UMB staff/faculty on web design and development.
- Updated remaining web sites on UMB web server that do not yet follow standard template, colors, design, etc.
- Purchased, installed and begin using content management system (CMS). Begin converting existing web sites and importing them into CMS so web developers can take advantage of the CMS software, functionality, etc.
- After attending training on new CMS, develop training curriculum and materials that UMB staff and developers will need. Training for each department will be done simultaneously when their web site is updated and imported into the CMS.
- Move existing School of Social Work web site onto UMB web server and update it so it utilizes the CMS system.
Jan 2004 - :
- Redesign existing UMB Giving web site by using Coldfusion and Oracle.
- Evaluate existing UMB Template and standards. Consider improvements.
UMB will have a centralized web environment that will be easy to use, navigate, and gather information about the campus, its services, students, staff, faculty, and community. Information will be presented in an up-to-date and dynamic manner so that students, staff, faculty, other universities and the general public can find information quickly and efficiently. Further establish the UMB web development department as the campus-wide resource for web related development, technology, topics, and information for the campus.