Center for Information Technology Services
Assistance and Service Center (ASC) Ongoing Support
Update November 2003
To implement a central service center providing "tier one" help as well as training, documentation and other forms of end-user support for UMB enterprise-wide systems.
1) To provide ongoing support and training for eUMB, SIMS/SURFS, e-mail, ORD RDW (Research Data Warehouse), UMnet and Blackboard.
2) To coordinate and collaborate with other Help Desks and Service Centers across the enterprise to provide effective and quality services.
3) To provide effective, timely and quality IT application training in areas identified by the various Help Desks, End Users and Business Process Owners.
4) To proactively inform and educate the campus community on technology upgrades, enhancements and issues.
Current State: (July - November 2003)
The staffs of the Help Desk and Enterprise Training Group have continued to provide user support, training and documentation as part of the implementation of enterprise-wide systems in the areas of student information management (SIMS); human resources, payroll and commitment accounting (eUMB); consolidated e-mail; instructional technology (Blackboard); and research support.
- Supports eUMB, SIMS/SURFS, e-mail (Outlook, GroupWise, UMnet, WebMail and Pine Mail), Research Data Warehouse, BlackBoard, and Lists.
- Continues to update the Knowledgebase with current solutions for future support.
- For the third quarter, 4475 Help Desk cases were logged with the following statistics: 85% were resolved within 1 day, 89% within 2 days, 91% within 3 days, and 96% within 1 week. Of the 4475 cases, 77% were resolved at the ASC Help Desk while 23% were forwarded to Tier 2 support for resolution.
- Assisted with orientation programs for new fall students at the Graduate, Nursing, Dental, Law and Social Work Schools. Distributed the Help Desk marketing brochures, UMnet user IDs & passwords to all the new students.
- Serves as point of contact to collect faculty, staff & student requests for desktop training.
Enterprise Training Group
- Continued to conduct monthly eUMB classes plus periodic "Lunch 'N Learn" sessions.
- Continued to provide direct eUMB end-user support, researching and resolving Remedy Help Desk tickets while working to effect knowledge transfer to Help Desk.
- Participated in eUMB Financials & Grants project planning sessions. Continuing to build and implement training plan (PeopleSoft functional/technical) for project team members.
- Conducted Needs Analysis for School of Pharmacy Outlook 2002 conversion training.
- Solicited IT Leaders' staff training needs; worked with Trisha Kaufman of Web Development Department to develop and pilot Intro to Web Development course as a first response.
- To accommodate need for additional training facilities, formed alliance with School of Social Work and have received bids for renovation of Room LL165 in 515 W. Lombard St. building.
Schedule: (Nov. - Dec)
- Further strengthen operations, plan future support services, and maintain relationships with other UMB, UMMS, and UPI support operations.
- Complete the development of a campus-wide applications database to be used by all the Help Desks to share information regarding their respective supported applications.
- Continue to capture and report on the most frequent HelpDesk issues.
- Enhance the ASC web page with pertinent information.
Enterprise Training Group
- Continue to conduct eUMB classes as needed, plus regular "Lunch n' Learn" sessions.
- Continue to provide eUMB Phase 2 telephone and hands-on support to users as needed, while working to effect transfer of knowledge and responsibility to Help Desk and process owners.
- Continue to refine and implement training plan for eUMB F & G project team members.
- Refine pilot class training materials and conduct first paying Intro to Web Development course.
- Continue to develop IT staff training classroom and online learning opportunities.
- Continue to develop desktop applications training program; post offerings on Web.
- Publish first edition of CITS eNews online newsletter.