Emergency Reference Guide
Electrical Power Outage
In the event of a momentary power outage:
- DO NOT PANIC. 99.9 percent of the time building power will be restored automatically within seconds.
- Once power has been restored report the event to Operations and Maintenance at ext 67570.
- Check all equipment for proper function and reset if necessary. Contact Operations and Maintenance if assistance is required.
In the event of an extended electrical power outage:
- Account for all people in your immediate area or span of responsibility.
- If it is safe to do so, secure experiments in progress, turn off equipment and secure any hazardous materials.
- Evacuate the outage area. Go out of the building or to an area where electrical power is known to be available.
- Report the electrical outage to Operations and Maintenance at ext 67570 with the following information: (Phones in the immediate outage area may not function.)
- Where are you (building name, which floor, what room)?
- Where is the outage?
- What do you see (no lights, equipment is off, emergency lights on)?
- What known hazards exist to first responders?
- Follow any instructions provided to you by Operations and Maintenance.
- Advise first responders of known hazards (experiments in process, hazardous materials, etc.) and critical equipment that needs to be protected if possible.
- DO NOT RE-ENTER THE OUTAGE AREA unless and until you are asked to do so and are escorted by Operations and Maintenance.
- Operations and Maintenance will advise you when electrical power has been restored and that it is safe to return to the area. Upon return check all equipment for proper function and reset if necessary. Contact Operations and Maintenance if assistance is required.
Every step possible will be taken to protect the building and its contents. They are replaceable. You are not. Be Safe: Stay Out Of Areas With No Electrical Power.